5.3.12

Blyth Spartans Project

I'm a Blyth Spartans fan. Who? They're a football team. Not a particularly good one, but thats irrelevant. Last summer I offered to help the club out with any little design jobs they needed doing and one of those jobs was to redesign there fixture posters which would go up around the town. 


I came up with a few designs and put them up on the Blyth Spartans Forum, unsurprisingly, my favourite didn't get picked, but thats not really the point I guess, this was all good experience. So after a lot of tinkering and changing to accompany everything the club wanted, sponsors, match information etc etc, we finally established a final design. The inspiration for the weird black and white effect was taken from a similar football related poster a guy at the club had spotted and liked. At the time being a bit of a NOOB I did the effect as best as I could (a bit of Photoshop, a bit of Illustrator) but looking back now theres a few things I could have done to improve it, but it looks kinda good, and everyone seemed happy with it.



Due to printing costs, my designs had to be a little constrained. The club had always printed off the 'backgrounds' of the posters first professionally, and then added the match information at a later date, and printed that content on top of the pre printed poster designs. It was a frustrating but understandable situation, one reason being that as a Non League club, with a dodgy pitch, the football leagues schedule can go to pieces through the winter meaning matches are constantly having to be rearranged. So obviously I had to devise a design that looked cool, but also it had to be practical so that the match information could be printed at a later date. I email the club PDF's with the match details as and when they need them. Not particularly ideal, but its all practice I suppose.

Looking back theres a few things i'd obviously change. With my last project being spent mainly on Indesign, theres a lot of areas that I could have improved or speeded up with regards to columns, alignment and kerning blah blah blah...but generally speaking I think it does the job.

I've gone on to other posters for the club which have appeared in their programmes, as well as work for the club's website. 

No comments:

Post a Comment